Anime-style games are one of the highest-grossing categories on mobile. In 2021, these titles generated $16.97 billion worldwide, according to the latest data.ai report.
Key points to remember
- data.ai estimates that anime games accounted for $1 of every $5 spent on mobile titles last year.
- In 2021, global gamer spending on anime games grew 6% year-over-year.
- Japan is the top country for anime titles, accounting for 15% of total installs and 55% of revenue.
- Gamer spending on anime games has increased by 85%, 75%, and 70% in South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United States, respectively, since 2018.
- Last year, anime titles generated 658 million downloads worldwide, a 15% year-over-year increase.
- Downloads of anime titles have increased by 170%, 30%, and 40% in South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United States, respectively, since 2018.
- Pokemon Go was the most downloaded anime game of 2021, followed by Genshin Impact, SAKURA school simulator, Pokemon UNITEand Gacha Life.
- Genshin Impact became the highest-grossing anime title last year, followed by Pokemon Go, Pretty derby Uma Musume, Fate/Grand Orderand monster strike.
The full report with more data on genres, audiences and other trends can be found here.