Makoto Shinkai or Mamoru Hosoda, who makes the best animated films? 【Poll】

A survey asks respondents to choose between directors of your name and Summer wars.

Almost all animated directors do most of their work on television, as this is the format for which the vast majority of Japanese animation production is produced. Two very notable exceptions, however, are Mamoru hosoda and Makoto shinkai.

Hosoda made his first animated film in 2000 and has worked exclusively on theatrical feature films since 2009, with hits such as The Girl Who Leaped In Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children and The Boy and the Beast along the way. Shinkai, meanwhile, made his first theatrical release in 2004, with his most recent works being the phenomenally popular your name and Alter with you.

Together they are the two most respected animated film directors after the older generations of Mamoru Oshii, Hideaki Anno, Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. For example, the Japanese video streaming service 1Screen recently conducted a survey, asking respondents “Which films do you prefer, those of Mamoru Hosoda or Makoto Shinkai?

▼ Trailer for Hosoda’s latest animated film, Beautiful

A total of 500 responses were collected from participants aged 10 to 69, and when their votes were counted, Hosoda came out on top, but with a narrow margin as 52.2% said they preferred his works, and the remaining 47.8% more support Shinkai.

1Screen also asked respondents why they made the choice they made, and those who chose Hosoda cited his penchant for fantastic elements and the warmth of its visual style and characterizations, with comments such as:

“A lot of his cartoons have an escape and dreamy quality, so they’re very entertaining to watch.”
“His character animation is very lively.”
“The dialogue and facial expressions of the characters in the emotional scenes are very natural and lifelike.”
“If I had to choose between them, I would choose Hosoda. I love the way his stories develop. There are fun and exciting parts, but also sad and painful parts, and many of his cartoons can be enjoyed by adults and children alike.

On the other end of the answers, many who prefer Shinkai’s anime have gushed over her. inimitable visuals.

“Every animated image in the Shinkai films is beautiful, especially the way the water scenes are drawn. Your name and Weathering with You also have romantic elements, and their stories are sweet throughout.
“The magnificent art really draws you into the world of film, and the scenery and the weather work to express the emotional state of the story.”
“The background draws you in with its realism, and when you watch it you realize that it is even more beautiful than the real thing, so I can watch the Shinkai anime over and over again.”
“In addition to the art of his films, I also really like their music.”

Of course, as anyone who has watched the films of the two directors can attest, their styles are very different, so you could argue that the question “Hosoda or Shinkai?” Is essentially “Apple or orange?” Hosoda has probably also received a boost thanks to the timing of the survey, which was conducted at the end of June, as he is a lot more on people’s minds these days with his latest film, Belle, coming out this month. this month and also coincides with its previous films shown on Japanese television and appearing as a new line of Uniqlo T-shirts.

Source: Public relations time
Top image: YouTube / 東 Dubaï FILM
● Do you want to know the latest articles from SoraNews24 as soon as they are published? Follow us on facebook and Twitter!
[ Read in Japanese ]



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *